Your source for live, local, and late-breaking babble. Now including updates about our daughter Courtney!

Friday, May 26, 2006

A Good Walk Spoiled

The title of this posting was taken from a book. It's about golf.

I love golf...and I hate golf. It's one of the most frustrating hobbies I can imagine, and yet I keep going back to the course, clubs in hand, expecting to have fun. I usually do. How can something so aggrevating be enjoyable? I don't know.

When I sat down to write this, I started to think about golf and it's frustrations. Not as a sport, but as a metaphor for life. It seems like such a simple thing to do...you want the ball to go straight and forward. Unfortunately, it's a difficult process. About a million things need to be done just right in order for it to happen as planned. Club head, feet, swing, wind...everything needs to fall into place, and the ball goes where you want it. If one thing is just a little bit out of alignment...ball goes into woods. Or trees. Or lake. Or Guam.

But that's kinda like life. If everything lines up just right, then life goes just where you want it. But if one out of those million little things is just a little off, then life doesn't go as planned. And no matter how good of a golfer we are, nobody hits a straight shot every time. Even Tiger Woods puts one in the sand every once in a while.

So grab your clubs, tee up your ball, and swing away. Even if your shot goes into the woods, there's a good chance you'll still be able to find it. And don't forget to enjoy the walk along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home